Sunday, February 6, 2011
News: Two Writing Awards Weigh In
It feels sort of sacrilegious to be writing about Oscar season in a weekend meant for total dedication towards football, but since there were a few more awards given out, I thought I should update anyone interested. First, the USC Scripter award for "the best adaptation of the printed word into film" went to Aaron Sorkin and Ben Mezrich for "The Social Network", which was adapted from Mezrich's book "The Accidental Billionaires". Sorkin also picked up another award this weekend at the Writers' Guild of America (WGA) awards for Best Adapted Screenplay (although these awards are diminished somewhat by the fact that so many film's are ruled ineligible due to the guild's ridiculous eligibility rules). With his unfortunate snub by the directors' branch of the Academy, I was also happy to see Christopher Nolan win something this awards season, as he won the WGA's Best Original Screenplay award for his script for the film "Inception". "Inception" was also the recipient of the Art Directors' Guild award for Best Art Direction in the Fantasy category. The guild's other two categories, Period and Contemporary, went to "The King's Speech" and "Black Swan" respectively. That's about the only award news this weekend, so I hope you had a great Super Bowl weekend, and congratulations to the Green Bay Packers on winning Super Bowl XLV.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment