Monday, January 17, 2011
News: And the Train Kept A-Rolling. Globes Keep Things As They Are.
The Golden Globes were held last night, and every single winner matched up with the odds-on-favorite winners come Oscar night. "The Social Network" winning Best Picture (Drama), Best Director, and Best Screenplay, Colin Firth winning Best Actor (Drama), Natalie Portman winning Best Actress (Drama), Melissa Leo winning Best Supporting Actress, and Christian Bale winning Best Supporting Actor are all to be expected at the 2010 Oscar ceremonies. In the television department, while I haven't seen too many of the shows, I was glad to see Steve Buscemi win an award. Buscemi is one of my favorite character actors (even going back to his work on the Nickelodeon show "The Adventures of Pete and Pete), and it was about time someone gave him an award for his great work (although I have not seen "Boardwalk Empire" yet). I also must mention what a great job Ricky Gervais did as the show's emcee. Gervais is my favorite comedian in the business today (if you haven't seen the original "The Office" or the show "Extras", do what ever you have to to watch these shows), and I was glad to see he did not use kid gloves on the self-adoring Hollywood types. Any actors, such as Tom Hanks and especially Robert Downey Jr., who can handle being poked fun at, need to learn to let their narcissism go, and how to take themselves (and their egos) less seriously. Anyway, if you want to check out at list of the winners click here. Also, the night before was the critics choice awards, who also put their patented stamp on this years inevitable winners, so if you want to check that out, click here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment