This week came the news that Universal declined to green-light the James Cameron-produced and Guillermo Del Toro-written-and-directed adaptation of the H.P. Lovecraft novel "At the Mountains of Madness". The movie had a reported $150 million budget and, this is the key, was to be rated R. The R-rating pretty much guaranteed that, despite the big names attached to the film (including Tom Cruise as one of the film's stars), it would not get made. While I am not particularly a big fan of Del Toro's (I found "Pan's Labyrinth" to be extremely overrated) it saddens me to see an original passion project such as this not see the light of day. Unfortunately, it speaks to the state of a stagnant, decaying system that fails to take any gambles on original work. This is especially the case for any filmmakers interested in making a big-budget rated R film, as Gore Verbinski found out trying to adapt the excellent video game "Bioshock" into an R-rated film.
The news of Del Toro's smashed dreams did lead to one positive creative outburst though, a fantastic article I happened to stumble across that sums up to current situation which has left us with a sea of generic PG-rated family fare and typical PG-13 crap. The author of article, Drew McWeeny, succinctly details the state of the industry and the frustrations I feel with it better than I ever could hope to, perfectly nailing the complex causes of Hollywood's bloated rotting corpse. If you're at all frustrated with the total lack of originality and overall crappy value of most movies today coming from the studios, I highly recommend you read it by clicking here. In response to the authors open ended questions that conclude the article, I don't really have any great answers either. The only thing I can say that we can do to even begin to address the sad state of cinema we found ourselves in (for major studio releases), is to take responsibility of what we see as filmgoers. This means that we can not continue to see sequels out of obligation just because we have seen the originals. If it looks like a cash ploy, it probably is, so skip it and send the studio a message we don't want more sequels. This also means taking more chances on original movies, even if it doesn't look like your typical cup of tea. If you see a movie that is not a sequel or some carbon cut-out formulaic romp, give a chance, even if you have your doubts. This may not sound like much, but it's a start, and at last you'll feel like you're backing new and adventurous cinema.

I find these comments very intriguing (for lack of a better word) I find your way of dealing w/the problem a great way. I only wish more people would see movies like you do. Most people want a feel good movie that makes them walk out of the theater and not have to think. A movie that stays w/you because you are continuing thinking about it or a movie that while you are watching it makes you think seems to be a lost thought for a lot of people. I wish things could change but I do not see that happening and again the bottom line is the money. Hollywood is about money and quick money. Keep up your blog and your thoughts maybe someday people will "grow up"
ReplyDelete