Monday, November 1, 2010

Retro-Review: The Shining

 
     As I confessed in my in article on five great movies for Halloween, I've been somewhat of a coward in terms of watching horror films. This means there are a lot of very famous films that, simply because they are in the horror genre, I have yet to see. Recently though, I have managed to muster up enough courage to view some of these fright flicks, and it being the Halloween season, it seemed like a perfect time to watch the more famous films of the genre. I still didn't feel like I had the nerve to watch probably the most famous horror film, "The Exorcist", but instead opted for two films I felt wouldn't give me permanent nightmares: the original "Halloween" and "The Shining". Against what would seem like the logical order, I watched "Halloween" the night before the actual holiday (read my review here) and "The Shining" on Halloween night, but even though there would be nothing more appropriately on the nose then to watch "Halloween" on Halloween, it turns out the scarier film was the one without the holiday for its title.
  
     "The Shining" is based on a book by the master of horror in literature, Mr. Stephen King. It tells the story of a family who agrees to take care of an old-fashioned resort in Colorado during the winter season (when the resort is closed down due to poor road access and the inclement weather that  annually plagues the Colorado Rockies). Jack Nicholson plays the father, an ex-school teacher turned struggling writer who hopes the peace and quiet of an isolated hotel might spur his creative juices. Shelley Duvall plays Nicholson's wide-eyed (literally) naive wife and caring mother of their son, Danny. Danny, played by Danny Lloyd, is not your typical child though, as he has some supernatural powers including the gift of "The Shining", which is the ability to communicate mentally with others who also have the power.

     At first, things appear to be great as all three family members adjust to their new surroundings. Things quickly begin to change though, as the violent history of the hotel (which Nicholson was warned about before accepting the job) begins to repeat itself, and Nicholson's character becomes possessed by the unnatural beings of the resort. It all builds up to a climatic ending that is visually unforgettable and extremely thrilling.

 
     The setting is perfect for a horror film and the sets (built on a soundstage in London) were designed with amazing authenticity. Everything about this film works to simultaneously intrigue and scare you. Stanley Kubrick is one of cinema's most celebrated directors, and even though I am not a part of the Stanley Kubrick fan club that so many cinema enthusiasts are, in this case, I have nothing but praise for the director. My common problem with Kubrick's work is his films tend to be self-conscious intellectual efforts that are devoid of much human emotions, but in the case of "The Shining" (definitely my favorite Kubrick film), there are emotions abound (though mostly fear).

     There are so many things that Kubrick does well in this film that it would take too long to list them all. Instead I will highlight two small things that really have a great intangible effect on the audience. The first is the scene were Nicholson and Duvall are taken through the hotel and shown all the rooms. The film has audacity to, one-by-one, show you where all the madness will occur. At the time, you don't know what will happen in each of these rooms, but their is a strong sense of foreboding that something terrible is going to go down in each room. The other point, that may seem small but was actually one of my favorite parts of the film, was the quick cuts to a black screen that would display the day or the time. The reason I love this technique so much, is whenever the film begins to slow down a little bit, the quick cuts hit you like a bucket of cold water. It is also a small thing that Kubrick uses to give the film some cinematic flair. Whenever a director adds in a touch that takes advantage of the unique art of cinema, it's a big plus in my book.

 
     I also would be remiss not to mention the great performances given by Jack Nicholson and child actor Danny Lloyd. Nobody does crazy better than Jack Nicholson, and this is one of his finest performances. The difficulty level of the role is large, but Nicholson handles the pressure with ease and convincingly carries the character all the way through the end. Shockingly though, the movie was not well received at the time, and Nicholson's work was totally ignored by the Academy Awards, even though historically he is loved by the Academy. The film's other dramatic center is Danny Lloyd, who as a child, is asked to do some pretty weird things, but there is never a moment where the movie is held down by his performance. Everything he does feels plausible for a child, and that is due to Lloyd's great performance.

     As I alluded to earlier, the list I recently made of the five best films for Halloween would definitely have to make room for "The Shining" (either at the number one or two spot). This is a fantastic film that I could not recommend more for fans of the horror genre, but also for film buffs in general. I know that Halloween has come and gone, but don't let that stop you, whatever time of the year,  from seeing "The Shining". It is a must-see.

Rating: 10/10

Christopher Lominac

1 comment:

  1. I agree w/all your thoughts on this movie. I remember reading the book and then seeing the moive. Usually a book is much better than a moive but this is one of those movies that is very true to the book. It is for sure a very haunting movie with great acting by Jack and the the little boy.

    ReplyDelete