To get the idea behind this column, click here
Before I get started on dissecting 2008's Best Adapted Screenplay race, I need to make an announcement about this column. I will be temporarily suspending this column either after this edition, or maybe next week's edition. Over the last week, I have been working hard on composing my own "100 Greatest Movies" list, and once it is done, I plan on releasing ten movies at a time each week, starting with 100-91. Since this will require a bit of time, I didn't want to attempt to do ten write-ups of some of my favorite movies and continue to rank different categories in Oscar history, which is why "If I Picked the Winners" will be going on a ten week hiatus while I count down my favorite movies.
Now to the real point of this article: 2008. 2008 was an extremely disappointing year for me in terms of the Oscars (and the Super Bowl for that matter, but that discussion is better left for another blog). The main reason for my dissatisfaction with the Academy Awards in 2008 was their sinful omission of "The Dark Knight", one the decade's greatest films, in the writing, directing, and picture categories. How on earth they managed to nominate typical "Oscar bait" films like "The Reader", "Frost/Nixon", "Milk", "Slumdog Millionaire", and "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", but failed to nominate one of the most memorable movies in recent history is beyond me. In fact, I was so angered a movie that was so well received by the public and critics alike failed to live up to the Academy's "high-class" sensibilities, I considered boycotting the Oscars, but at the last minute I couldn't help but watch. The good part of this terrible snub was it lead the Academy to make some changes. Immediately, by the next year they expanded their Best Picture nominees to ten. The Academy felt this would make room for more movies from a variety of genres, such as action/drama films, which, with the very small sampling data of one year, has seemed to work so far.
There were more problems though with the 2008 nominees than just "The Dark Knight". A number of other good films were mostly ignored by the Academy in favor of the stereo-typical films mentioned above. For instance,"Tropic Thunder" was one of the best comedies of the last decade in my book, but since the Academy has a perpetual bias against movies that make you laugh, it was not too surprising it did not get a Best Picture nomination. What was more surprising, was that three really good dramatic films, "Gran Torino", "Doubt", and "The Wrestler", failed to secure a Best Picture nomination, but garbage like "Frost/Nixon" did. What can I say, that's the Academy for you. Oh well, on to ranking the nominees.
5. Peter Morgan for "Frost/Nixon"
4. Eric Roth for "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
3. Simon Beaufoy for "Slumdog Millionaire"
Simon Beaufoy's script for "Slumdog Millionaire" was the winner in this category, just like everything else attached to "Slumdog Millionaire". The movie was not only popular with the Academy though, as it also did pretty well at the box office. Unfortunately, I can not quite jump on the "Slumdog Millionaire" bandwagon that so many other people seemed to. I don't dislike the film, as it is a decent film, but there are some things that bother me about the movie that mostly have to do with the writing and directing. The film's script and direction rely heavily on obvious manipulation. When you're suppose to laugh, it's obvious you are suppose to laugh. When you're suppose to cry, it is obvious you are suppose to cry. When you're suppose to feel sad at character's betrayals, the film hits you over the head with the fact that a grand betrayal is occurring. The script paints in broad strokes, almost like a fairy tale. In fact, the film really does feel like a more adult version of a Disney film. If that sounds like a good thing to you (which it must for a good number of people judging by the box office returns), than you will probably love this film, if it sounds a little boring to you, than like me, you will probably end up feeling a little let down by the movie.
2. David Hare for "The Reader"
I have to say, I am a little shocked that I ended up putting this at the number two spot. Overall, I am not a fan of "The Reader", but when I thought about it more, my reasons for disliking the film had more to do with directorial decisions than anything else. It is true there are some weaknesses in the story (which may have more to do with the book than David Hare's screenplay), but there are portions of the script that are stronger than anything else in the three previous screenplays. The weakest part of the movie is the first half of the film, which is totally obsessed with showing a teenage boy (David Kross) and an older ex-Nazi woman (Kate Winslett) having sex. I don't know if it was suppose to be shocking, but it was more boring than anything else, and it never really developed a meaningful and believable relationship between the two characters. The second half of the movie is much more interesting though, and is the reason I have it at the number two spot. The latter half of the film deals with the German people's responsibility during the war, and whether all ex-Nazi soldiers should be considered war criminals, or just soldiers caught up in yet another war. It is very well written and almost saves the movie from the pointless first half. It is an interesting debate, and for most part, the movie just presents the story without taking either side, which is why I give high marks to David Hare's script and put it above the script's of "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" and "Slumdog Millionaire", even though I liked those films better.1. John Patrick Shanley for "Doubt"
As always, if you have any opinions on these five films or my ranking of the five films, let me know in the comment section down below.






I agree w/your thoughts on Doubt. I had forgotton how much I enjoyed that film and when you desribe the ending brought me right back to the film and how much I enjoyed the whole movie.
ReplyDeleteI will look forward to reading your 100 best adapted screenplay movies. I think I enjoyed SlumDog more than you did although I really did enjoy Frost/Nixon. It is enjoyable to read your blog and remember movies I have not thought of in a very long time.
ReplyDeleteKeep up the great work
Thank you. I'm glad to bring back good movies to your mind. Also, I will be counting down my top 100 movies overall, but counting down the top 100 adapted screenplays isn't a bad idea either, although it would take some research into finding out which movies are truly adaptions, and which screenplays are original.
ReplyDeleteOh stupid me I was at first thinking you were doing screenplays than realized you were doing movies. I am enjoying reading the first ten and will look forward to more reviews.
ReplyDelete